Do you know that 90% of recruiters use LinkedIn to vet candidates? Imagine a recruiter coming to your Linkedin profile and it is not up to date. Do you think they would contact you for the job?
Your guess is as good as mine.
LinkedIn is the largest business-oriented networking website geared specifically towards professionals. With over 500 million members in over 20 countries, LinkedIn gives you the ability to showcase your profile, expertise, and most importantly build connections.
Benefits of LinkedIn
1. You can gain exposure to hiring managers and recruiters
2. You can demonstrate your knowledge, credibility, and leadership expertise
3. You can use Linkedin as a research tool to gain an understanding of the companies you want to work with
4. LinkedIn has a great job board you can use to find jobs
5. You can gain social proof for your skills and talents on LinkedIn
6. You can follow companies and join groups on Linkedin groups to network.
Optimising your LinkedIn profile
This starts with creating an account, once that is done, upload a professional profile picture and a cover picture as well. For your professional picture, try to get a professional headshot, and also ensure to have a cover picture as well. It can be a place for people to get to know you better.
Your profile should have your name, surname, and a headline. Your headline is an opportunity to let people know what you do, and it is also a place to include your accolades.
In creating a headline, ask yourself "What do I want people to know about me, what am I passionate about?"
Summary section tips
Experience section tips
Using Linkedin to find a job
Whenever you are searching for a job, there are certain critical things you must have in place;
1. Mindset- what kind of mindset do you have around work? Ensure you have ready to put in the work on your job search and even when you get a job. Having a growth mindset is also important in your job search process.
2. Update your CV- updating your CV helps you stay ready for opportunities and interviews as well. Our employability skills training prepares you for the job search process, so register here for the next batch.
Another feature of LinkedIn is that it allows you to extract a CV from your profile, hence why it is important to keep your LinkedIn profile updated
3. Self-aware- Being self-aware in this instance means you are aware of the skills you possess and the ones you need to develop.
4. Develop skills- If for instance, you want to be a Virtual Assistant, research the skills needed to be successful in that role and think about how you can develop the skills you may not possess. Our online Virtual Assistant training is the perfect fit for you to become a Virtual Assistant.
5. Volunteer- While you are waiting to get a job, volunteering is a way to build up your CV and gain experience.
6. Network & be visible- Linkedin is the place to be visible; write articles about things you are learning, things you do and are passionate about. You can also join groups as a means to build your network.
LinkedIn also has a job section that contains a CV builder, a skills assessment section, an interview prep section, and set-up job alerts. The entire job section is full of resources for you to find a job.
Remember, networking is not how many people you know, it is how many people know you. So, ask yourself what you want people to know you for, and be deliberate about building that vision.
Check our website for other training opportunities.